Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday's Word..Barcelona Chair



Ok...so I also have a minor obsession with furniture, especially chairs!! Sometimes I hyperventilate when I see pieces I love in stores and I just have to turn around, walk out...breathe... and then walk back in. Also, it seems like everything I like is super expensive! Put me in a room full of stuff without price tags and I'll somehow pick out the most expensive things, but I think it just means I have to be more creative to get the look I want. That's what so unique about my business, Interior Alternatives. You get the look want without the high price tag. We will talk about that in another post...

One of my all time favorites is the Barcelona Chair. If you find an original, it will cost a fortune but the look is unmistakable! It was designed by Luwig Mies Van der Rohe and his long time partner and companion Lilly Reich. Luwig Mies van der Rohe worked for Peter Behrens in his architectural firm. He was one of the most influential architects to design furniture. In 1926 he produced one of the first tubular steel framed cantilever chairs. Interestingly, for the International Exposition in Barcelona, 1929, he designed the German pavilion. He moved to USA and became the Dean of Architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology.

Here are some really beautiful ones I'm crazy about... maybe one day they'll share a life with me.







2 comments:

amanda persinger said...

These chairs are SO you! I am so proud of you for keeping up with your blog ;) ...your even posting more than I am! lol!

Tammi said...

well, you are my INspiration!! Love you!!