Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tuesday's Tip..Lamp shades


Today I want to talk about lamps. I am addicted to lamps!! I love them..I could eat them! I have at least 30 lamps in my house. I have 8 in my living room...and I must have this cute little thing from Target!! I know I can find a spot for it, somewhere...??

Anyway, not every lamp that you find or purchase comes with a shade and sometimes it seems that you find the perfect lamp but cannot locate the perfect shade. So, when shopping for a shade to match your lamp, there are a few tips you need to keep in mind.


Match the Base - Think size, shape, style, and color. Larger lamp bases require larger shades. Square bases may look better with a square shade but your goal is to match the “mood” of the base. Or if you want to mix up a style, purposefully put a modern round or square shade with a traditional or antique lamp base.

Compliment the Base - A shade should make the base look better without competing with it for attention. Decide what you want your lamp to be in the room...an accessory or a main focal piece. If your base is really unique, choose a simple shade to draw attention to the special features of the lamp. Or, if your base is plain and simple, choose a patterned, painted, or leather (textured) shade to add some flare to your lamp. Target has some really cool lamps shades to choose from to accent plain lamps.


Hide the Switch - Your shade should just barely cover the switch. Try different sized harps or add a shade riser to fine-tune your shade fit.

Sizing Rules of Thumb- - Shade height should be about 3/4 the height of the base. - The bottom of the shade should be wider than the widest part of the base. - Shade width should approximately equal the height from bottom of base to socket.

Consider the Use - Reading lamps need a wider shade to provide plenty of light. Smaller, darker, or shades made of less transparent material are better for mood lighting.

Consider the Bulb - Be sure you have 3 inches of separation from bulb to shade, especially for higher wattage bulbs. Be sure the top opening is wide enough to vent the heat. Compact fluorescent bulbs are great for most lamps because they burn cooler, but you may need larger harp since CFL's are taller than standard light bulbs.

Here are some really cool lamp shades of proper size and shape for their bases:






I hope this helps you on your next buying trip for beautiful lamps!!

2 comments:

amanda persinger said...

That owl lamp is TOO cute! You should get it for Rach!
Great tips!
And BTW....I love the lamps you gave me! : ))

Tammi said...

Oh yes, I forgot about those!! Did I already add the tassle fringe to them? If not, I'll bring it down and do it for you. I love that Owl Lamp too!!